Which Nature Made Fish Oil product is right for me?
With so many fish oil products on the market, figuring out the differences between all the formulations can seem a bit mystifying. Nature Made offers several different fish oil formulas, which may have you asking, “Which product is right for me?” Read on to learn about the benefits of fish oil, the quality of our fish oil, dosage information and the differences in our formulas. You can also read frequently asked questions (FAQs) about our fish oil products.
What is in fish oil?
Fish oil is a great source of naturally-occurring omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are healthy fats that should be included in most people’s diet. The two primary omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oil are eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). EPA and DHA have an FDA-approved qualified health claim stating that “supportive but not conclusive research shows that consumption of EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.” EPA and DHA help support a healthy heart and help support cell membrane flexibility throughout the body.†
Where does fish oil come from?
Fish oil comes from – you guessed it – fish! The EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids are primarily found in fatty fish like salmon, halibut, tuna, mackerel, and sardines. These fish incorporate EPA and DHA into their fatty tissue by consuming algae.
How much fish oil should I take?
Heart health experts recommend consuming two servings of fatty fish per week for healthy adults.1 This equates to approximately 500 mg of EPA + DHA per day.‡ Most people don’t consume this much; in fact, national survey data shows that the average American only consumes about 86 mg/day of EPA and DHA, which is just 17% of the 500 mg/day recommended amount for healthy adults.1-2 What’s the best fish oil supplement for you? You may want to discuss that with your healthcare professional. Nature Made Fish Oil supplements make it easy to meet the recommended dose in as little as one softgel per day depending on the formula you choose. And Nature Made Fish Oil is a great supplement option for healthy adults looking to help support a healthy heart.†
What is the difference between Nature Made Fish Oil supplements?
Nature Made offers several types of fish oil supplements that are differentiated by dosage, enteric coating, size, number of softgels per serving and additional nutrients to meet your specific needs.
Some of the Nature Made Fish Oil portfolio offerings include:
- Nature Made Omega-3 with Xtra Absorb Technology: It provides 500 mg EPA and DHA per softgel and is made with a specially designed emulsion system that allows nearly 4x better absorption than standard fish oil concentrate**.
- Nature Made 1000 mg Fish Oil: It provides 300 mg of omega-3 fatty acids (250 mg EPA and DHA) per softgel.
- Nature Made 1200 mg Fish Oil: It provides 360 mg of omega-3 fatty acids (300 mg EPA and DHA) per softgel.
- Nature Made 720 mg One Per Day Omega-3 Supplement from Fish Oil: It provides 720 mg of omega-3s (660 mg EPA and DHA††) in just one convenient softgel.
- Nature Made 1200 mg Fish Oil Plus Vitamin D3 1000 IU: It is a combination of two important nutrients: omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D3. Each softgel provides 360 mg of omega-3 fatty acids (300 mg EPA and DHA) and 25 mcg (1000 IU) of vitamin D3.
- Nature Made Full Strength Mini Omega-3: It provides 540 mg of omega-3s (including 500 mg EPA and DHA††) in just one small softgel.
- Nature Made Ultra Omega-3 Supplement from Fish Oil: This is our highest strength fish oil product, providing 1000 mg of omega-3s (935 mg EPA and DHA††) in just one softgel.
Where do Nature Made Fish Oil products come from?
Our fish oil only comes from wild caught ocean fish, and never from farm raised fish.
Why should I take Nature Made Fish Oil?
Nature Made fish oil products undergo state-of-the-art purification processes to remove PCBs, dioxins and furans, and mercury to ensure purity levels below .09 ppm, 2ppt WHO TEQs and 0.1 ppm respectively.
Are Nature Made Fish Oil products verified?
Many of our fish oil products are verified by the U.S. Pharmacopeia (USP), an independent, third-party organization that verifies supplements for quality, purity and potency. In addition to complying with all applicable government regulations, USP verified dietary supplements must pass a stringent set of tests to ensure product purity and quality. Look for the USP Verified mark on supplement labels. In addition to USP, Nature Made is the #1 Pharmacist Recommended Brand of Omega-3/Fish Oil supplements.* You can learn more about our #1 Pharmacist Recommended vitamins and supplements here.
Should I speak with my healthcare professional about fish oil?
Yes. Before adopting a supplement regimen, please discuss your dietary and nutritional needs with your primary health care professional. Doing so helps ensure that you receive both personalized and effective advice to help you reach your personal health goals.
- *Based on US News & World Report - Pharmacy Times Survey of pharmacist recommending in this category.
- ‡“Recommended amount” equates to a calculation based on approximately 3,500 mg of omega-3 fatty acids EPA/DHA found in two servings of fatty fish per week.
- †† As ethyl esters.
- **Standard ethyl ester concentrate when taken on an empty stomach
References 1. Kris-Etherton PM, Harris WS, Appel LJ. Fish Consumption, fish oil, omega-3 fatty acids and cardiovascular disease. Circulation 2002;106:2747-57. 2. Papanikolaou Y, Brooks J, Reider C, Fulgoni VL. U.S. adults are not meeting recommended levels for fish and omega-3 fatty acid intake: results of an analysis using observational data from NHANES 2003-2008. Nutr J. 2014;13(31):1-